Friday, May 30, 2008

Surrealist poets and their effect on mah life.

List of poets
Andre Brenton
Guillaume Apollinaire
Robert Desnos
Louis Aragon
Paul Eluard
Pierre Reverdy
Paul Celan


Surrealists
1. How does one react to these unconventional poets?

This is probably one of the most relaxing and enjoyable assignments I have ever been given. While reading this poetry what I found to be the most striking was that it all seemed like lyrics with the exception of some. Sometimes when I buy cds I read through the lyrics first without actually listening to the instrumental and imagine the melody of the songs directly through the words. The same feeling came over me when I read a lot of these poems. This sense was most prevalent in the poems composed by Robert Desnos and. Even when scrolling down the list of titles to the poems I felt as though I were examining the back of a cd case. It is almost as if poems could potentially make much more honest songs; however that would precisely be taking away from their initial and most effective purpose. Robert Desnos wrote this poem titled “I Have Dreamed of You So Much”, and it became one of my preferred out of all that I have read because of the way that he was able to almost combine adoring, dislike, hate, and obsession. One line that may help reveal this would be, “I have dreamed of you so much that surely there is no more time for me to wake up. /I sleep on my feet prey to all the forms of life and love, and you, the only one who counts for me today.” He repeats the line “I have dreamed of you so much..” and it is so possible and unimaginable at the same time, to dream and fixate on one person, however at the same time watch them slowly disappear.
Another area that generally has never involved me in poetry surprisingly became one of the more appealing elements, which is the way the Paul Celan situated his sentence structure and language rules. In one particular poem called “Flower” Paul would introduce a word and use a hyphen as if he were following this word with a definition. Instead of a definition it was more of an odd description. It was bizarre that I noticed or commented on this because it is most often that for some unexplained reason I always disregard the alternate placing of words and grammar. Towards the end of the poem search I read through many without thinking about how to avoid these funky placements and happily finished some valuing the division and combinations.
On earlier occasions I would always associate poetry with complications and ingenuity beyond what I would ever be able to express or deliver a complete understanding towards. I know I did not get to read all of works of only these seven different poets, however it was fortunate enough to read some and it most certainly gives me something to look forward to preferably still read soon. At one time I believed that I would never read poetry such as this on my own because there was too much stress that troubled me while thinking that it was only created to make yet another aspect of the English language more difficult to process. I have just recently found that I am mistaken, and many people before me and even people across the world still posses the same judgments, just in varying situations.

No comments: